Skip to main content

Buying Signals for Salespersons.

Recognizing Buying Signals is crucial to closing a sale for all the salespersons like me and you. 

At times there are opportunities we can get a commitment to a sale from the customer. we should be sensitive to the clues. 

When we recognize the buying signals, that's the time we may want to cut down your presentation and go for the close. 

Make the transition carefully and don't be abrupt. A good way of transitioning is to summarize the benefits (not more than three benefits at a time). Then start the paperwork to close the sales.

Positive buying signals are like green lights for you to go ahead, and the opposite is just as true. Negative buying signals are your stop signs, which mean the prospect is telling you, ' I am not Convinced yet'.

It does not mean that you leave the prospect and move on this is the time to show more benefits and use The Impulse Factors for closing the sale.



Buying-Signals-for-salespersons-buy-sell


The Prospect gives positive buying signals in the form of questions like: 

  • Can I Pay for this monthly?
  • Can this Vacuum Cleaner clean the curtains also?
  • How much will it cost?
  • When can I have the delivery?
  • Can I have it delivered on Saturday morning?
  • What Kind of warranty/guarantee do you have?
  • Do you have any annual maintenance contract?
  • Can you show it to me again?
  • Can you demonstrate it one more time?
  • What kind of credit facilities do you give?
  • Do you have any instalment plans?
  • How many colours does it come in?
  • Can I try it one more time?

The Prospect also gives the Negative/Rejection signals like:

  • This doesn't seem to be more reliable than my current system.
  • Can you leave the information and I will call you later?
  • I don't have any warehousing capacity for this merchandise.
  • I am sure your price will be the same a year from now.
  • I want to think it over.

A word of caution Does not use JARGON'S.

Use layman's language or commonly used words. When you go to buy a product, notice how often you'll walk away from a shop after a salesperson has bombarded you with a lot of technical information, and you're left more confused. A salesperson may ask how many megabytes or gigabytes you want in a storage device.

Only a tech-savvy consumer can understand this. The prospect may not understand this and he only needs to know the basic function of the material. So always remember don't use jargon unless you are speaking to someone in your own profession.

As being the sale profession I have learnt that to get the sale we have to use our words or phase our sentence very wisely, As there are words that may create objections or resistance bt the prospect.

WORDS THAT CREATE OBJECTIONS OR RESISTANCE

Prevent objections by choosing your words carefully:
  • Replace words like 'buy/sell' with 'own' for example, after you own this product....' Nobody likes to be sold something as it implies a lack of control. Ownership gives control and pride
  • Don't use the word 'sign'. Replace it with, 'can you confirm this order? 
  • Avoid the word 'Contract'. People are afraid of this word as they do not know what they are getting into. They feel as if they need to bring a lawyer into the discussions. Replace it with, 'Let get the formalities/ Paperwork/ Agreement out of the way.'
  • Do not use words like 'price/payment/money.' Instead of them with the word investment'. For example, rather than saying 'after you pay' or 'your cost will be so much, 'you can say 'your one time/monthly investment would be X'. Why? This is because words like price, payment and cost imply a loss-an out-of-pocket, 'gone forever' feeling. On the other hand, 'investment' implies that the person is getting something back in return and the truth is they are. Everybody wants to be an investor. There is pride in being an investor. Who wants to be a payer?
  • The one phrase which I use regularly and which I have got to bring about positive feelings and progress in a discussion is 'Let me share with you some information that has been helpful to many people such as yourself.' Isn't this better than simply saying, 'Let me tell you about my product'?

DO NOT USE PHRASES AND QUESTIONS THAT ARE HARMFUL, SUCH AS...

  • I will try to/ I hope to
  • Maybe / It should be
  • Perhaps/Probably
  • That could happen/ It sounds right
  • We can't
  • Only important or major clients are entitled
  • You don't qualify
  • That's not my department
  • I don't handle that
  • That's not my responsibility
  • Do you understand?
  • Let me tell you
  • When will you decide?
  • When will you make up your mind?
  • What's your problem?
  • If you don't decide, you will miss out
  • Shouldn't you be doing?
  • I think so
All these words can be a negative effect. The above phrases should not be used because they either create doubt or sound offensive. On the other hand, Positive words are encouraging, supportive and demonstrate care and graciousness. Here are a few words that I have found to be powerful and have helped open doors for me. Ever thought they're common words, they convey a positive message and help in selling.

PHRASES AND QUESTIONS THAT ARE HELPFUL

  • How do you feel about....?
  • What do you think about? How about considering this?
  • Let's face it...
  • Together I am sure we can.....
  • Where you aware of? 
  • May I ask for your help?
  • I am sure you would not want to gamble with...
  • Could I request you to clarify...
  • What's your opinion about...?
  • I suggest...or may I suggest...?
  • In my opinion...
  • We're sure that we can...
  • What is your first priority?
  • Would you be comfortable with...?
                   
Buying-Signals-for-salespersons-buy-sell

CONCLUSION:

A sudden change in behaviour or body language may reflect a change in an attitude may be rejection signals. Whenever a good sales professional sees or hears rejection signal he realizes that there is a lack of interest from the prospect and he needs to make a decision either to resell, reschedule or remove himself from in front of the prospect. One needs to be sensitive to both positive and negative signs. Upon observing rejection signals, a salesperson could say something to the effect.
  • Mr.Prospect, it seems that something is disturbing you. Could I request you to share it with me?
  • Inadvertently, if I have made any mistake, I seek forgiveness'
  • I apologize, but could you share your concerns?
The words/ Phrases should be used very carefully as they can have multiple effects they either create doubt or sound offensive. On the other hand, positive words are encouraging, supportive and demonstrate care and graciousness. There are a few words that I have found to be powerful and have helped open doors for me. Even though they're common words, they convey a positive message and help in selling there are listed above.

The words/phrases should be used very carefully as they can have multiple effects they either create doubt or sound offensive. On the other hand, positive words are encouraging, supportive and demonstrate care and graciousness. There are a few words that I have found to be powerful and have helped open doors for me. Even though they’re common words, they convey a positive message and help in selling there are listed above.

I also have a blog on Communication skills for Sales Professional

About my blog on Buying Signals for Closing Sales by the salespersons, If you have any suggestion please leave the comment below.









































Comments

  1. It is the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy.

    I have read this submit and if I may I wish to
    suggest you some fascinating things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article.
    I want to read even more issues about it! You've made some decent points
    there. I looked on the internet to find out more about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this website.
    I will right away take hold of your rss feed as I can’t find
    your email subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Please allow me realize in order that I may subscribe.
    Thanks. http://cspan.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading through an article that will make people think.

    Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your site is so cool.
    I am impressed by the details that you've on this web site.
    It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.
    Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles.

    You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched
    everywhere and simply couldn't come across.
    What a perfect site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have brought up a very great details, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If some one desires expert view regarding blogging then i advise him/her to visit this blog,
    Keep up the pleasant job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge regarding unexpected feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind
    of space . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web
    site. Reading this info So i'm satisfied to convey that I
    have a very just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I most without a doubt will make certain to do not fail
    to remember this site and provides it a glance on a constant basis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this blog post.
    It was funny. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Generally I don't read article on blogs, but
    I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do
    it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your website is
    so cool. I am impressed by the details that you've on this blog.

    It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.
    Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles.
    You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched all over
    the place and simply couldn't come across. What a perfect website.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your
    great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I really enjoyed studying it. This information procured
    by you is very constructive for correct planning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with helpful info to work on. You've performed a formidable process and our whole neighborhood might be grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wish to say your article is as surprising.
    The clearness to your put up is simply spectacular and that i can suppose you're
    an expert in this subject. Fine with your permission let me
    to grasp your RSS feed to stay updated with coming near near post.
    Thank you one million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peculiar article, totally what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unquestionably believe that that you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to
    be on the net the easiest factor to be mindful of. I
    say to you, I definitely get irked while other folks think about issues
    that they just do not know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest as well as defined out the entire thing
    with no need side-effects , people can take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an extraordinarily spectacular opportunity to read in detail from this blog.
    It really is very excellent and full of a great time for me
    and my office colleagues to visit your web site at the least thrice in a week to read the new tips you will have.
    And indeed, we are certainly satisfied concerning the impressive tactics you serve.

    Some 2 points in this article are absolutely the finest we have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good article! We will be lijnking to this particularly great article oon our
    website. Keep up the great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's amazing for me to have a web page, which is beneficial designed
    for my knowledge. thanks admin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment in case of any Question or Suggestion

Popular posts from this blog

Deciding the effective way of Presentation Approach and Method

We all would like to know the best way of Deciding the Presentation Approach and Method that could help us on the field and could multiply our sales.   I and you are the Professionals how to establish the rules of the game before we start playing and we ask questions in order to gain a clear understanding. We should know in advance who the key players are in the decision-making process. Those are the peoples with who we should make efforts to build the relationship with and give the Presentation. Always ensure that you optimize your time by making presentations to the decision maker. Many salespeople keep making presentations without even finding out who the decision maker is. No Wonder their closing rations go down. Most of us sales professionals could multiply their sales if only we made great presentations. A great presentation cannot be fancy packaging alone, it needs to be substantive. It should be well planned, Structured, Customer-focused and solutio

COLD CALLING-Cold Calling Scripts, Tips, Definition & Meaning-AGM.

I'm going to discuss with you Some Important tips of mastering the COLD CALLING. Let us talk about mastering the cold call in different ways. Mastering the art or skills takes a lot of time. Many calls a lot of practice, right. Many people are in coal calling for a few weeks a few months a few years. I have been successful with it for over 15 years and today I want to give you the most important things or secrets to know about successful cold calling. I suppose you could just as easily flip it around and say things to avoid would be to miss or neglect to do these things first has to do with a script. You know you hear arguments on both sides that don't read your script it's mechanical well the biggest mistake or the most important secret to do right is to have the words that you need without reading them mechanically. So you're going to be saying the same thing repeatedly you want to have a pitch. Therefore, you do not get lost tongue-tied or s